Chemistry, especially chemistry of fluorine-containing compounds, industrial chemistry;
Main Scientific Achievements:
It has been shown by the example of α-fluoroalkylamines that C–F bond dissociation is possible that gives a fluorine anion which is not protonated and stabilized by organic cations;
The reaction of insertion of perfluoroolefins in the С–F bond of α-fluorodialkylaminomethanes has been discovered;
The formation of N,N-dialkylmethyleneimmonium perfluoroalkoxides in reacting perfluorocarbonyl compounds with N,N-dialkylaminofluoromethanes has been discovered;
The formation of “stable” tertiary perfluorocarbanions stabilized by hexamethylguanidinium cation has been shown;
S.M. Igumnov was the first who has carried out acylation of perfluoro-tert-butyl anion that was considered impossible.
A catalyst and an out-of-autoclave catalytic process using this catalyst for producing fluoroaromatic compounds have been developed, and manufacturing has been launched of the capacity 10 MT/year;
A catalyst and an out-of-autoclave catalytic process using this catalyst for producing perfluoromethyl vinyl ether have been developed, and manufacturing has been launched of the capacity 1.5 MT/year;
A process for producing bromoperfluoroethyl vinyl ether (BrAVE) has been developed, and manufacturing has been launched of the capacity 3 MT/year;
A catalyst and a process for gas-phase nucleophilic hydrofluorination of fluoroolefins using this catalyst, and manufacturing has been launched of the capacity 15 MT/year;
A process of gas-phase decarboxylation of perfluorinated acid fluorides has been developed to yield perfluoroolefins;
A process for synthesis of perfluoroalkyltrialkylsilanes and technology based on this process have been developed; manufacturing has been launched of the capacity 5 MT/year;
A process for destruction of waste resulted from detoxification of chemical agents has been developed and the pilot plant has been created.
A process for synthesis of tertiary perfluoroiodides, which were considered unstable earlier.
An initiator for low temperature generation of perfluoroalkyl radicals has been found, a process for low-temperature (+20 °C) out-of-autoclave addition of perfluoroalkyl halogenides to alkenes has been developed and realized on a pilot plant (capacity 5 MT/year).
The first example of nucleophilic replacement of iodine in tertiary perfluoroalkyliodides has been discovered (up to now this example remains the only one).
1. Igumnov S.М., Knunyants I.L., Delyagina N.I. α-Fluoroalkylamines as a new source of unhydrated fluoride-ion. Communication 1. Fluorotrimethylamine. Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1981, no. 4, pp. 857-859.
2. Igumnov S.M., Delyagina N. I., Snegirev V. F., Knunyants I. L. α-Fluoroalkylamines as a new source of unhydrated fluoride-ion. Communication 3. 19F NMR spectra of perfluorocarbanions generated using N,N,N'N' –tetrafluoromethylformamidinium bifluoride. Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1981, no. 10, pp. 2238-2243.
3. Igumnov S.М., Delyagina N. I., Zeifman J. V., Knunyants I. L., α-Fluoroalkylamines as a new source of unhydrated fluoride-ion. Communication 5., N,N-dimethylmethyleneimmonium perfluoroalcoholates and their reactions with perfluoroolefins. Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1984, no. 4, pp. 827-832.
4. Igumnov S.М., Bazanov А. G., Shipigusev А. А. , Soshin V. А., Lekontseva G. I., Ilin А. N., Denisenkov V. F. A process for hydrofluorination of fluoroolefins. RF Patent 2134257, priority date 20.04.98., Bull.Izobr., No. 22, 1999.
5. Igumnov S.М., Zabolotskih А. V. A process for production of polyfluoroaromatic compounds. RF Patent No. 2164508, priority date 23.11.99, Bull.Izobr., No. 9, 2001.
6. Igumnov S.М., Lekonzeva G. I., Shipigusev А. А., Gomzyakova О.D. A process of decarboxylation of perfluorinated carboxylic acid derivatives. RF Patent No. 2188187, priority date 14.09.99, Bull.Izobr., No. 24, 2002.
7. S.М. Igumnov, G.I. Lekonzeva, А.А. Shipigusev, V.L. Don, K.S. Narinyan, А.А. Zabolotskih. New methods for syntheses of basic organofluorine compounds. Plenary Lecture at 8th All-Russian Conference «Chemistry of Fluorine», Chernogolovka, November 23-25, 2009.